A surgical approach will only be considered if all conditions are met.
- A Body Mass Index ( BMI ) over 40kg/m2
- A Body Mass over 30kg/m2 in association with documented concomitant disease that could benefit from weight loss: arterial hypertension, radiologically proven degenerative arthritis, sleep apnea.
- A patient age between 18 and 50 years
- Obesity which has been stable for over five years
- Unsuccessful dietary or drug measures for over a year
- Absence of endocrine disease
- Sufficient comprehension and compliance from the patient
- No history of excessive alcohol intake; no history of drug abuse
- Acceptable operative risk
Body mass index (BMI) is measure of body fat based on height and weight that applies to both adult men and women.
- Normal weight = 18.5 – 24.9
- Overweight = 25 – 29.9
- Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater